Monday 3 December 2012

Site specific Berlin

Berlin was wonderful; exhausting, but wonderful.

I've been a little slack in compiling a reflection on what we encountered, but I desperately needed to establish what it was that interested me on the journey. Just a few things that left me feeling excited:

David Rickard's floor-board installation

We visited an exhibition space under the name LoBe. I noted that a number of the artists we spoke to seemed interested in exploring their environments through a sort of mapping or even an uncovering of what lay in the space already. David Rickard's work was your first encounter on entering the joint exhibition - narrow, metal rods placed in the gaps of the floor-boards that each went as deep beneath the floor as they were high.


I couldn't help but feel a visual connection between the miniature metal rods and this stretch of the city where a trace of the wall's presence is marked by iron poles.


The Holocaust Memorial

towering moving overwhelming heavy 




No comments:

Post a Comment